GNU Midnight Commander (also referred to as MC) is a user shell with text-mode full-screen interface. It can be run on the OSX Terminal, just like in xterm and other terminal emulators.
Next to official release of stable sources, this universal binary (i386, ppc) built (without source code modification) and linked with following libraries:
– gettext v0.18.1.1
– glib v2.21.6
– pkg-config v0.23
This release requires Mac OS X 10.4 or newer, and tested on 10.5 Leopard (PPC/x86), 10.6 Snow Leopard (x86), 10.7 Lion (x86), 10.8 Mountain Lion (x86), 10.9 Mavericks (x86).
Download latest installer package: mc-4.8.12-bin-osx-universal.zip
Additional console tools in the package (installed onto “/usr/local/bin”):
– catdoc: catdoc is program which reads one or more Microsoft word files and outputs text, contained insinde them to standard output. Therefore it does same work for .doc files, as unix cat command for plain ASCII files. It is now accompanied by xls2csv – program which converts Excel spreadsheet into comma-separated value file, and catppt – utility to extract textual information from Powerpoint files.
– iftop: iftop does for network usage what top(1) does for CPU usage. It listens to network traffic on a named interface and displays a table of current bandwidth usage by pairs of hosts.
– odt2txt: odt2txt is a command-line tool which extracts the text out of OpenDocument Texts produced by LibreOffice, OpenOffice, StarOffice, KOffice and others.
– unrar: Command line decompressor for RAR files.
– GNU wget: GNU Wget is a free software package for retrieving files using HTTP, HTTPS and FTP, the most widely-used Internet protocols.